Thursday, 28 July 2016

Do Nigerian Women Really Want Gender Equality

Yup! That's my question for today. Do Nigerian ladies really want  REAL gender equality? I see the slow rise of feminism in Nigeria, and I see these feminists and not so feminist women clamoring for gender equality. First of all, I think gender equality is unrealistic cos biologically, men and women are not the same. I am not saying one gender is better than the other, but that we are too different to be equal. And really, that talk of 'what men can do women can do better' is all bull-crap. Pardon my french.





I think I need to get back on track. Yea, I don't think Nigerian women really want equality. I mean, all round equality. Equal responsibility at home, in the society, and all spheres of life. Are most of them ready to go 50/50 on all spending in a relationship? I mean, whether married or still dating, will a Nigerian lady be willing to split the cost of a date, or the cost of running a home right down the middle? Of cos there are a couple of ladies that would do this, but they are not up to 5% of the women population of the country.


When it comes to gender equality in the workplace, maybe we need a little work here. I feel the women folk are not done justice here. But then again, if you look at the fact that the physical and emotional makeup of a man makes him more suitable for some jobs than women, then you understand why the number of men is more than that of women in Nigeria's workforce. There is reason that there are more female nurses than male nurses...you don't see men shouting for equality there.



And we all know that when women get the jobs, they get paid as much as their male counterpart. But when it comes to spending in whatever relationship they find themselves, most times, they still spend less. If you ask me, that is not true gender equality. Nigerian women want what they see the Americans or European women fighting for, but they still have the mentality of a Nigerian woman. You can't mix the two. 



Do Nigerian women really want to work dirty jobs like that of an auto-mechanic or a vulcanizer? Do Nigerian women want to pay half the bill on dates? Do Nigerian women really want to split the cost of running a home with their husbands? Do Nigerian women want to be the ones in Sambisa forest fighting the terrorist group, Boko Haram? Does a Nigerian woman want to be the one to go outside when there is possibility of an armed robber in the compound? NOPE! I don't think so. I am sure Nigerian women rarely think of all these things that men do. They just want gender equality for the good parts but not the harsh parts. And don't get me wrong, I know some part of Northern Nigeria need more work on liberating women and allowing them do more than just be slaves to men. But generally speaking, I don't think the average Nigerian woman wants real gender equality.




Please, whether you are male or female, share your opinion on this in the comment space below. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...