Friday, 18 November 2016

The Story of the Alleged "7 Year Old Boy" That Was Burnt Alive in Lagos

The story of a supposed 7 year old boy who people claim was burnt for stealing a cup of Garri has been all over the Internet lately. When I first saw the story, even though the picture of the boy looked like that of a toddler, my brain didn't just want to accept the story. 'How can sane human beings beat and burn a 7 year old boy to death,' i thought to myself. So, I decided to do a little research.





After watching the video, I saw that the person that was lynched and burnt alive was actually a man with a small body; At least, 20 years and above. He had been beaten to a pulp (the type of beating a 7 year old body can never withstand), and his face and head had bumps all over from the planks and stones people had used on him. This happened in Alafia; a community in Orile (Lagos, Nigeria), where people say is notorious for deadly robbery attacks at night. According to people, this particular thief didn't wait for the cover of the night to perpetuate his act; he tried to rob a woman in broad day light, and when someone standing close by tried to stop him, he started stabbing the man in multiple places, but he was overpowered by the other people passing by.






Unfortunately, the good Samaritan that the thief stabbed died after being rushed to the hospital. When the people cut wind of this news, they decided to carry out jungle justice on the robber. This is the purest and most plausible version of the story out there.





























A couple of months ago, I was robbed by about 4 thieves along Lagos-Ibadan Express Way. The leader had a sharp cutlass to my neck, while the others dug in my pockets for all they could find. I made no attempt to struggle, but I always wonder what would have happened to me if I had struggled with them and gotten my neck sliced. I still don't support jungle justice, but I think of some of my friends and what they would do to thieves caught in the area where I was robbed if I had ended up dead from that incidence. Still, I say no to jungle justice.


You can watch the video below. If you listen carefully, you would hear a man speaking in Yoruba of how he was robbed at the particular spot some time ago, and how the robbers beat the living day light out of him.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...