Sunday 31 January 2016

Introverts in an Extroverted World

"I don't really meet that many other artists because I am actually kind of shy...I always feel shy in the Hollywood scene. I feel a bit like I did in high school, like I don't really fit in."- Lady Gaga





Introverts are what most people know as shy or quiet people, and extroverts are the opposite. The truth is, both introverts and extroverts are needed for balance in this world. But for a very long time, it had been an extrovert world, were introverted people were seen as abnormal people that needed help. If you are quiet and don't engage in discussions at gatherings, you are seen as a weirdo and are sometimes looked down on. Introverts (myself included) were indirectly forced to be more like the extroverts. This led to a lot living miserable false lives they could never get comfortable with, cos deep down, that wasn't who they really were. Some were able to escape the pressure by finding success in the literary world, becoming romance novelist, and science fiction authors. Others went on to create alter egos, and used the alter ego to shine on the big screen. You have a lot of legendary actors like Johnny Depp, Clint Eastwood, Keanu Reeves, Julia Roberts, and a host of others who are actually introverts but appear like extroverts in movies. Brad Pitt has called himself shy person, and said his acting roles help divert attention away from his own real self- the introvert.




"I'm scared of audiences. One show in Amsterdam, I was so nervous I escaped out the fire exit. I've thrown up a couple of times. Once in Brussels I projectile vomited on someone. I just gotta bear it. But I don't like touring. I have anxiety attacks a lot."- Adele


A lot of bad may be said about the current Internet era, but one good that has come out of it is that Introverts like Mark Zuckerberg, and our very own Linda Ikeji have a voice in this extroverted world we live in. Both introverts were able to shine, without forcing themselves to appear extroverted. That is a great thing for a lot of introverts the world over. Before now, you didn't have a lot successful introvert entrepreneurs because doing business back then entailed mostly one on one interactions, and extroverts excelled better at activities like that. This relegated a majority of the world's introverts to the background. But things have changed. Or should I say, things are changing, cos introverts are still being looked at as people with a problem.


Introverts get energized through solitude, but extroverts get drained through the same process. And because extroverts are louder and have their voices heard by more people, they tend to shine more in the world, and their characteristics are seen as what should be expected of any normal person.


I am an introvert that likes to keep talkative friends, cos I know I just have to listen, and not bother much about talking. I have a little extrovert in me that comes out when I am with my close friends or have had a little to drink, but after an episode of "extroversion" I have to retreat to my "cave" to rejuvenate. I feel selfish at times when I escape into my hiding place and stop friends from coming to see me, but I always want them to be there when I am ready to socialize again. They are happy to see me, and want to hear about all the extraordinary interesting things I have to talk about, but want me to be around all the time. But that is not possible if I am going to remain being who I am- an Introvert. Introverts know what I am talking about. I guess that's just the 'weird' life of an introvert. And this is why I believe the world needs introverts, just as much as it needs extroverts. Night cannot be without day. They are totally different, but they need each other if either one wants to exist. You get me?



Introverts are observers who like to watch things happen, take time to process it before speaking on it. They would love to tell you a lot, but because they don't like social gatherings so much, they would rather write a book about what they feel. Or blog about it. Or write a long post on Facebook like I do sometimes. lol!



To end this article, I would like to list a couple of introverts that have been able to excel in various industries.

Movie Industry
Gwyneth Paltrow (actress)
Meg Ryan (actress)
Woody Allen (actor/filmmaker) 
Meryl Streep (actress)
Harrison Ford (actor)
Leonardo DiCarprio (actor)
Robin Williams (late actor)
Steven Spielberg (movie director)
Vanessa Hudgens (actress)
Kristen Stewart (actress) 
Richard Gere (actor)
Tom Cruise (actor)


Internet Entrepreneurs
Seun Osewa (founder of Nairaland.com)
Mack Zuckerberg (founder of Facebook.com)
Linda Ikeji (blogger at lindaikejisblog.com) 


Music Industry
Christina Aguilera (American singer)
Nas (American rapper)
Selena Gomez (American singer/actress)
Lady Gaga (American pop singer)
Elvis Presley (late American rock n roll musician)
Michael Jackson (late pop music legend)
Tuface Idibia (Nigerian musician)
Adele (British singer)


Literary World
Agatha Christie (mystery writer)
JK Rowling (British author of the Harry Potter books)
C.S Lewis (Irish writer) 
Susan Cain (self-help author)




2 comments:

  1. you read "Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that cant stop talking" by Susan Cain....fantastic book for every introvert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea...I haven't finished it though. I want to try and get a physical copy. I don't like reading ebooks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...